barbel n : slender tactile process on the jaws of a fish [syn: feeler]
- Rhymes: -ɑː(r)bəl
- fresh water fish
Barbel may refer to:
- Barbel (anatomy), a whisker-like organ near the mouth found in some fish (notably catfishes, loaches and cyprinids) and turtles.
(fish species), a common name for certain species of carp.
- Barbus barbus a species of barbel native to the British Isles.
- USS Barbel (SS-316), a US Navy submarine launched in 1943.
Barbel (SS-580), a US Navy submarine launched in 1958.
- The Barbel class of submarines of which SS-580 was the lead ship.
- Barbel (band), a 1980s band based in Liverpool.
- Barbell - weight training equipment.